A tutorial presenting all the steps necessary to install WordPress locally (Windows 10). I use the WampServer software for the installation. If you follow each instruction, your local WordPress installation will be successful. Set aside about 20 minutes to get your WordPress site locally. I also prepared a tutorial to install WordPress locally on Windows with XAMPP. A more open alternative than WampServer because it is compatible with Linux, Windows, macOS X, and USB keys.
WampServer offers a development environment under Windows. It offers all the necessary components (Apache2 server, PHP language, and MySQL database) to obtain a dynamic Web application. For example, a WordPress site. With that on your machine, you can create and modify locally 1, 2, 3 or 100+ websites accessible via the WordPress administration panel. Note that WampServer gives access to phpMyAdmin. This makes it easier to manage your databases.
Discover below the step by step process to create a WordPress site locally on a Windows computer.
How to Install WampServer on Windows?
- Check the version of your system on your PC: 32 or 64 bit. To find the info, in the search bar, type system info or open the Windows window Settings> System info;
- Download WampServer 32 or 64 bits (I use the 64 version for this tutorial);
- Install Wamp in the root of the main disk of your PC with administrator access for your Windows profile.
Note 1: do not install a new version of Wamp if you have a previous version on your machine. You will lose your existing databases.
Note 2: do not worry about warnings about Visual studio packages. 95% of PCs already have these packages.
Sample! Wamp is now installed.
WordPress file Preparation and Wamp Activation:
- Go to WordPress and download the latest version of the CMS;
- Unzip the downloaded .zip file;
- Open the unzipped WordPress folder;
- Select all the items in the folder and copy them;
- Open the folder
\wamp64\wwwlocated at the root of your main drive;
- Create a subfolder with the name of your project. This will allow several WordPress projects or installations to coexist easily;
- Paste all the elements in the folder
- Find the location of the WampServer application on your PC and run it (gently). You can also find it via the Start / Programs / WampServer64 menu;
- Wait for the Wamp icon to be green in your taskbar;
How to Install WordPress Locally on Windows?
- Left click on this Wamp icon;
- Select phpMyAdmin ;
- A connection tab opens in your web browser. Declare the root value for the user field ;
- Leave the password field blank;
- Click on Execute ;
- Go to the Databases tab of phpMyAdmin;
- We need to create a database to run our WordPress installation locally. Fill in the Database name field, leave the Collation option in the drop-down menu as is and click on Create ;
- The name of your database must appear in the list of databases located below the Create button in the Databases tab of phpMyAdmin;
How to Install WordPress Locally on Windows?
- Back on the Wamp icon (green), click on localhost ;
- A tab in your web browser opens. It gives instructions for the next steps to install WordPress;
- Click It left at the bottom of the page;
- Enter the name of the database (created in the phpMyAdmin tab), the name of the user, in our case “root”, no need for a password or address for the database (or insert localhost). There is no need to change the table prefix;
- Click on Validate ;
- We tell you it’s perfect. Click on Start installation ;
- A page is displayed asking you for information on the WordPress site to be created and your user profile;
- Enter the title of your future WordPress site. It will appear in the WordPress admin interface, on the home page of the site and in the
<title>source code element of your web pages;
- Complete the Username field and the Password field to create a user profile and access the admin of your website;
- Enter your email address to receive notifications of activity on your site and the password renewal link. This function will be operational when your site is online and your host authorizes the email function on your server;
- It is not useful to check the visibility box with search engines. We are local;
- Click on Install ;
- Click on Connect and enter your username and password;
- You now have access to the admin;
- To view your WordPress site locally, click on the name of your site located at the top left in the black administration bar.
Congratulations! You installed WordPress locally.
If you are looking for a contemporary design for your website, check out the Collection of WordPress themes from Webdesign Magazine. Here you will find a description of some popular themes within the WP community. The list is far from being exhaustive. I invite you to take a look at ThemeForest to buy WordPress themes and plugins.
To make your WordPress site accessible to everyone, you will need a server to host the files and a domain name so that your audience can access your content. Webdesign Magazine has teamed up with WP Engine to offer you a secure WordPress hosting offer with 2 free months. You can also get a free domain name for 1 year thanks to the friends of Porkbun.
If you need images, take a look at my list of royalty-free image banks. There are also beautiful images at iStock.